Monday 3 May 2010

Scene 11 – Inside View Of Goose

The main reason for the Farmer killing his Goose was because he was under the impression that his Goose had gold inside of it regardless of how unrealistic this sounds. After the previous scene where we saw the Goose being chopped in half, this scene starts with the same camera angle that the previous scene finished on. The camera then zooms in to the front half of the dead goose that is lying on the floor. It focuses on the insides of the Goose as the farmer is expecting to see Gold here.

The camera then turns to the back half of the Goose and again focuses on the insides of the Goose, which are now visible. To the farmers despair, he realises that the insides are pink just like a normal Goose rather than the gold he was expecting. The camera is now looking from the point of view of the Farmer. The camera then quickly shakes back to the front half and then back to the back half of the Goose. This gives the impression of the Farmer’s worry and fear that he has just made a huge mistake.

This scene was tough to create and animate because there is a lot going on in the Scene. I wanted to make a lot of things visible and obvious to the person watching the animation. The first thing I had to deal with was the cameras. As mentioned in the Scene description, I wanted the camera to be from the point of view of the Farmer. I needed to get across his emotions of shock, worry and fear when he first sees the insides of the Goose. The quick movements between the two halves of the Goose show this very well I feel.

The next important part of this scene was allowing the user to be able to get a good view of the inside of the Goose. The first issue I had was to make the two halves of the Goose not completely hollow from where they had been chopped in half. To do this I selected the border of a half and used the “Cap” function to put a polygon over the edge of it. I did this on both halves. I had a problem with this when I added a “Turbosmooth” due to the topology and amount of polygons on this cap. To conquer this I used the “Cut” tool many times to create a lot of smaller polygons on the cap. This then allowed the Turbosmooth to have a lot more affect and a more realistic look.

Once I had sorted out the Cap on the two halves, I now needed to colour the insides to show that they were a regular pink rather than the Farmer’s expected Gold. I decided that I wanted to keep the theme of the cartoon look rather than creating an in depth image of the goose’s innards. To create this effect, I selected a range of the inside Polygons on the Cap of the goose’s halves and applied a simple pink colour material to them. As they were both editable Poly’s, I was able to adjust the positioning of some of the vertices to make it look less like a rectangle.

I was very happy with how this scene came out because it is a very important one with a lot of action happening. It was important to get across to the viewer that the Farmer was unhappy and shocked by what he had seen. I felt that the best way to do this was by using the Cameras to make them look from the point of view of the farmer himself. I believe that this was achieved and was very effective.













No comments:

Post a Comment